Friday, September 16, 2016

2016-17 Captain's Q&A with Doyle Somerby



Q. Doyle, as the captain of yet another very young team, with nine freshmen and eight sophomores, what are you and your assistants doing to build team chemistry?
A. To build chemistry in my mind, it doesn't matter what you are doing as long as you are together. The comfort every player has with each other goes a long way throughout the season. So far, we just try and spend as much time throughout the week together, whether that comes from watching football on Saturdays and Sundays together or hanging out after practice. I am lucky enough to live close to campus, so this summer I was able to spend a good amount of time around the incoming freshman when they were here for summer school.

Q. Since your arrival at BU, not only has your speed improved, but your agility as well. How did you achieve this and what areas are you looking to improve on personally this season?
A. Skating is a huge part of our teams success. The forwards that I am able to face on a daily basis are a huge part of my ability to improve year by year. Every summer I work with a guy named Adam Nicholas who has done a lot for me. I skate with him frequently throughout July and August and he is a major factor in my development. Also, the second that coaches are allowed on the ice with us, coach David Quinn has really pushed me throughout the year. His knowledge and experience for every defensive situation is beneficial for my growth as a player. The situations that he puts the defensemen in throughout practice allows us to improve our footwork and defensive play.  


Q. Your scoresheet contributions took a big step up last year with 5 goals, 8 assists and 45 shots on goal. Do you attribute those numbers to experience, greater comfort with the offensive scheme, recognizing and jumping on opportunities—or all three?
A. Being more of a defensive defenseman, the scoresheet is something that I am not very dependent on as a player. With that said, it is obviously nice to score goals and chip in offensively but we have a lot of skilled players that have helped me improve statistically each year. The main thing that has allowed me to increase production each year is the confidence in my skating. The first two years I was a lot more timid because I did not trust my feet to bail me out of situations. As I have grown into my body more, from work in the weight room and extra skating, I have felt the confidence to put myself in more offensive situations.

Q. Two freshmen—Patrick Harper and Johnny McDermott—are coming in directly from prep school programs. What did you find to be the biggest adjustment when you arrived from Kimball Union and what will you tell them?
A. I have talked to them quite a bit about the jump from prep to college. The general assumptions about the size and speed of guys are undeniable. All I can tell them is the grind of the season can get to you at times, and there will certainly be a lot of ups and downs, but it's how you respond each game. College hockey is very mental and I just tell them to trust their ability and enjoy each game because there aren't many better places to be than BU.

Q. How often do you speak with the Islanders about your development at BU? (Is it former Terrier Chris O’Sullivan?) What do they want you to improve before you turn pro?
A. I talk to a few different people within the Islander’ system throughout the year. Being in a system with a lot of guys who have been through the college ranks is really nice and beneficial for me. As far as improvements go, they just talk about the year-to-year jumps you make as a player. Take care of what is in your control; get stronger, work on skating, be confident, enjoy and learn from the leadership role I have been placed in. They like the system, the coaching staff and the quality of the players here at BU, so it is a good situation to be in.

Q. Does Coach Quinn’s defensive system lend itself to the style and development that NHL teams are seeking?
A. His track record speaks for itself. He is very well regarded by people at the pro level, and the players he has coached at every step of the way have gone on to be very good players. The work he does with the defenseman in practice that I alluded to earlier is something that will pay off not only this season but at the next level as well.  

Q. BU fans enjoy big open ice hits like the one you had against Duluth (video @ 6:15) in the 2015 regional. Do you look for an opportunity to make a statement with a hit? Or is it a matter of being ready when a puck-carrier has his head down?
A. It has a lot to do with timing, and the gap the defensemen have leaving the offensive zone. It is always nice to lay the big hit but it is something that is not always available. Fortunately, I am not the only defenseman on the team who enjoys the open ice hits, as Charlie McAvoy and Johnny MacLeod have been known to lay thunderous hits.

Q. With Brandon Fortunato’s departure, can we expect to see you gaining more power play opportunities?
A. Haha, I guess you never know. But my role on this team is to take care of the defensive side and pitch in offensively when I can. I was able to fill in occasionally on the powerplay last year when guys went down with injuries. We have two very talented freshmen defensemen coming in who will join Charlie McAvoy on the power play along with a lot of talented forwards, so we will see what happens.  

Q. What areas do you feel the defense needs to improve on from last year (specifically, in their own end), and what are the keys to getting better at those things this year.
A. Communication will be a big key for us this year. To get better in our own end we need to be better at talking and working off each other. We also need to be more efficient moving the puck. Breakouts are something we can really work on because it will prevent us from being hemmed into our own zone.

Q. Last season, the penalty kill, both in Hockey East and overall, was about 81%. What needs to be done to improve that number?
A. Sacrifice. Plain and simple. The effective penalty kills are the ones where people accept their role and the situation and are willing to do anything to keep the puck out of the net. Obviously we will let up goals and sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team’s power play but bearing down to block shots and clear pucks will definitely improve our penalty kill numbers.

Q. Finally, which returning BU player will surprise Terrier fans this season?
A. For me personally I am really excited about having Nik Olsson and Nick Roberto back in our lineup this year. I don’t know if people realize how important they are to our team. With that said, I think from freshman year to sophomore year is where players may have the biggest jump. We have a few players that will really improve off of last year’s campaign. With that said, I would have to say Jordan Greenway might not surprise Terrier fans per se, but I personally am expecting some big numbers from him this year in particular. He is a special player with his blend of size and skill and I think with a year under his belt he can really take over and dominate games. 

No comments: